ESPN on WEEI

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Oct 7 21:05:01 EDT 2009

Does anyone else besides me wonder whether, notwithstanding that WGBH
has publicly announced that is is acquiring WCRB and has filed an
application for transfer of control of WCRB, that Entercom might still
be working behind the scenes to pull off some kind of deal to acquire
99.5? Here is a possible scenario (fasten your seat belts): WEEI moves
to 93.7; 99.5 downgrades to B1, moves to the WRKO site in Burlington,
and becomes WMKK; Entercom donates WKAF to WGBH; 97.7 becomes WCRB;
ESPN moves full-time to 850; 890/1400 returns to the air as ESPN
Deportes.

Remember, Entercom bought 97.7 for a ridiculous price--$30
million--back before station prices collapsed. If Entercom has not
written down the asset, and they donate WKAF to WGBH, they might be
able to get credit for a $30-million charitable contribution. The tax
effect of that contribution might enable Entercom to acquire 99.5 from
WGBH for very close to 'GBH's $14 million cost of acquiring
WCRB--without Entercom's having to dig into its very depleted cash
reserves. A crazy scenario? You bet! A likely scenario? Nope. A
possible scenario? I think so. (I'll be in the lobby after the show to
accept nominations for the Joseph Gallant Memorial Award.)

Technically it would leave WCRB on the Class A 97.7 signal, albeit
from a site closer to Boston than Wood Hill--a site that happens to be
owned by WCRB's new parent, thus reducing WCRB's operating costs. And
107.3 would be back to being on only the quasi-rimshot 107.3. Well,
Entercom can't have _everything_ can they?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367