WHAI 98.3 & WMUA reception

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Tue Oct 6 20:18:53 EDT 2009

> At 12:32 AM 10/1/2009, Robert F. Sutherland wrote:
> PS but my memory is, as a UMASS  student & WMUA station member, when it >was still 10w & antenna on the old Engrg bldg.

Yes, those were the days -- 10w and roughly 35 feet below average terrain! The transmitter was moved in 1971 to the Dickinson dorm and power increased to 1 kW. Sometime later -- '80s or '90s? -- FCC rules on RF required the transmitter to be moved from the dorm to a shack a couple hundred yards away at the base of a short tower that's at the apex of Orchard Hill, according to WMUA members I once met at a station reunion weekend. IIRC, power was reduced to go along with the increase in HAAT.