Public radio beg-a-thons (was: Re: Bach trumps Telemann at the "New" WQXR)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Oct 6 17:05:32 EDT 2009

<<On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:10:46 -0500, "Laurence Glavin" <lglavin@mail.com> said:

> So I flipped to WBUR for the repeat of the 8:00 am to 9:00 hour, and
> they ran the same Ira Glass-guilt-inducing message THREE times, and
> included no more than 20 minutes of program content; all the rest of
> the time was begging!

I've often wondered if public radio could raise money more effectively
by doing less-intrusive fund-raising more frequently (or even
continually).  Pledge drives are one of the things that put me off
from supporting public radio.  (Although public television is arguably
even worse, so I try to support only those stations that I believe
really deserve the money.  Sorry, WGBH!)

-GAWollman