Globe: WGBH "TV on the radio", Rooney/Crossley talk show etc

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Nov 29 02:28:00 EST 2009

<<On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 02:03:05 -0500, "A. Joseph Ross" <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> It would be nice if they would carry the British radio versions of
> some of the British TV shows that they have.  A number of British
> shows do have radio versions.

> One thing I'd love to hear is the radio versions of Rumpole of the
> Bailey.  Rumpole continued on British radio even after the TV series
> ended.

There may be rights issues with those; although they don't seem to
have any problem with making pretty much all spoken-word radio
available worldwide over the Internet, licensing them for broadcast by
another entity in a different country may be a very different matter.
(Programs that don't involve licensing externally-created works, like
comedy and quizzes, are probably easier, although I've seen no
evidence that any Radio 4 entertainment programs have made it to these
shores since "My Word!", which ended production in 1990 -- although
someone is apparently still distributing it in syndication today.)

Frankly, I've love it if someone in the public-radio world here could
arrange to put Radio 4 on their HD3 with a five-hour delay (similar to
Sirius XM's delayed rebroadcast of Radio 1).  That would give me a
reason to get an HD tuner for the car.  In the mean time, I'm stuck
with <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes>.

-GAWollman