Home for the holidays!

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Nov 25 23:37:27 EST 2009

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> Did they have it on air at each of the 14 relocaitons? It's my
> understanding you have to actually have it on the air before moving it
> again.
>
> We have an FM translator on AM here in IL... had to make 2 hops and were
> not sure it was ever on the air in the intermediate location even though
> they said it was

If someone can prove it wasn't, that's grounds for license revocation,
since you have to file an application to cover each CP along the way
with a license - and that involves certifying that the CP was built out
correctly.

I know of a couple of translators that were moved several times here in
western NY (they're now relaying WCJW 1140 Warsaw), and in this case I
know they did indeed operate (briefly) at each intermediate location.

It doesn't take much to get a translator on the air, especially the
little 10-watt jobbies that the WPKZ translator was supposedly using
along the way. You can build one in a couple of hours, if the goal is
just to get something in place quickly and then move it a day or two later.