WTAG-TV? I-86

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Wed Nov 25 18:26:02 EST 2009

Mark Laurence wrote:
> When I first lived in Maine, the Airline was my favorite road trip.
> There was no electricity and no telephone for most of the route, and
> the weird non-names for towns (Entering Township 1 Range 7) added to
> the sense of complete isolation.  For about 45 miles there was only
> one outpost, a general store in Beddington, and when they got
> telephone service and electricity, it made the front page of the
> Globe.  For people today who panic when they lose cellphone service,
> that would be quite unsettling.

There used to be a gas station/convenience store in Wesley ~1990.
That's gone, now.  It must be difficult for the people who live in that
neck of the woods to do things like grocery shopping, etc.

One summer returning from P.E.I. there was a major accident in one of
the long, lonely stretches and the police detoured us east all the way
down to Machias on Route 1 - adding 30+ miles (and 70+ minutes) to an
already overly long trip.