WTAG-TV? I-86

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Wed Nov 25 18:03:55 EST 2009

vzeej5wn@myfairpoint.net wrote:
> The Airline is WAY better than it used to be in the days when it was
> narrow, hilly, badly paved, and full of curves and dips.  It's been
> considerably widened and straightened in recent years, and one can
> actually get from Bangor to Calais in about two hours, maybe even a
> little less.  That having been said, however, the road is still
> treacherous in the winter and in fog.  There's a good bit of truck
> traffic on it, and moose can pop out of the woods anytime.  When it's
> nice out, it's a pretty drive.   -Doug

Amen to the straightening - major improvement.  In addition to widening,
they've added several "Slow Truck" passing lanes.  When my wife is
driving, we make Calais from Bangor in 90 minutes.  Assuming no fog, no
snow & no ice.  Haven't had the pleasure of a moose sighting yet,
though.  Several times, the wait at the border has exceeded the
traveling time.  Now, trucks take a different route.