ABC call signs and batteries

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Tue Nov 24 16:10:43 EST 2009

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> Except for crystal sets, which were powered by the
> signals they received, early 1920's radio receivers needed batteries
> (several different types in each receiver--filament, plate,
> screen--anyone else remember screen grids?) and I don't think
> rechargeable batteries, which probably would have had to be lead-acid
> batteries, were popular for use in radios. I guess that radio
> batteries were typically zinc-carbon
The "A" battery was for filaments.  Typically big and supplied a lot of
current.  (Predecessor to today's "AA" & "AAA")  Frequently
re-chargeable and referred to as a "wet" battery.

The "B" battery was for Plate Power.  Hence "B+" - Big, with multiple
cells for higher voltage & lower current.  90 Volts each and frequently
two batteries in series.  Generally not re-chargeable & referred to as a
"dry battery"

The "C" Battery was for Grid Bias.  Modest in size, 10 vots or under and
tapped between cells.  Minimal current draw from the radio gave this a
longer life.

Most (if not all) of these batteries had fahnestock clips
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahnestock_clip)

For pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(vacuum_tube)