WTAG-TV? I-86

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Nov 24 07:05:08 EST 2009

"They can designate the Interstate highways
with whatever Interstate numbers they like, but why can't the state
route numbers be left alone?"

AFAIK it's usual practice for state and federal route numbers to disappear on an existing road which is designated as an Interstate route, but I believe there are other exceptions to that rule besides I-95/MA-128 for various reasons, not the least of which is local custom.  Despite the fact that the Canton-to-Randolph stretch of the Yankee Division Highway has not been signed as 128 for quite a while now, I still hear traffic reporters on radio and TV refer to it as 128.  Since 128 is by most accounts the first "beltway" in the country, there may be some historical recognition at work as well.

I'm betting the locals along New York's Southern Tier will be calling the Southern Tier Expressway "route 17" for many years to come, I-86 signage notwithstanding.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040