UHF in Southern New England (was WHNB/WVIT Channel 30 (was Re: WTAG-TV?))

Bill Dillane dillane@sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 23 19:34:21 EST 2009

>The entrance to WVIT today is on Ridgewood Road, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the entrance was on New Britain Avenue.

I remember Route 6 (New Britain Ave.)  Channel 30's main entrance was on New
Britain Ave.

>Wasn't there a related AM station at one time (WHNB or WKNB 840 in New
Britain)...was 840 with NBC as well?

Yes, and it was WKNB 840. WTIC was the exclusive NBC affil.

>Channel 79 (Torrington) was on the air at least by 1968.

Prior to that, WHNB had a Channel 79 translator on Channel 20's tower from
1964-1966.

>http://jeff560.tripod.com/1947tvalloc.html
>Waterbury had (allocation for) channel 12

WATR originally applied for Channel 12 before the freeze.