WTAG-TV? I-86

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:38:20 EST 2009

I drove 86 last summer for the first time, coming home from Philadelphia
(my wife and I just decided to take the Watkins Glen route home) and we
were wondering why that road wasn't officially an Interstate Highway for
many miles until I nearly t-boned some poor bastard coming off a tiny
side road that just exited right onto a 55MPH divided, four-lane
highway.  Holy crap!  There's at least a half-dozen of those
"interchanges" where the eastbound traffic can make a left-hand-turn
across the westbound lanes onto what looks like personal driveways.
(that's how teeny those side roads are)   Yee-haw!

I don't know all the politics, but given the state's budget crisis and
how little anyone in Albany ever cares about the Southern Tier, and the
terrain (in some places it's basically mountain on one side, river on
the other) I don't think the DOT will *ever* build proper US Interstate
System interchanges/flyovers there.

Aaron Read                  |  Finger Lakes Public Radio
friedbagels@gmail.com       |  General Manager (WEOS & WHWS-LP)
Geneva, NY 14456            |  www.weos.org / www.whws.fm

The piece of I-86 in New York is supplanting in parts, and will
eventually replace in whole, NY-17 (the Southern Tier Expressway).

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040