WTAG-TV?

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Mon Nov 23 13:59:13 EST 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Donna Halper wrote:

> I don't know if you nice folks have been in correspondence with sometimes list-member John Andrews, but he sent me his recollections about WTAG and early television.  I have not been able to verify the 1945 date he gives, however, nor do I see a channel 5 assignment in any of the reference books from that period which I possess.  That doesn't mean he is wrong-- it just means more digging is required, and alas, I don't have a ton of free time to do it.

In the "Directional ex-Class IA AMs" thread, recently started on this list, look at the following chart of TV allocations from 1947:

    <http://jeff560.tripod.com/1947tvalloc.html>

Note that Worcester had an allocation for channel 5!

Also of note, Waterbury had channel 12, Hartford-New Britain had 8 and 10, New Haven had 6, Providence had 11, Springfield-Holyoke had 3, Boston had 2, 4, 7, 9 and 13, Lowell-Lawrence-Haverhill had 6, and Manchester had one "community" channel.

Some of these allocations disappeared and some moved to nearby cities eventually.

Whatever happened to the concept of "metropolitan" and "community" channels?

Paul