WTAG-TV?

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Mon Nov 23 10:28:38 EST 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 12:16 AM, Dave Tomm wrote:

> According to Wikipedia (for whatever that's worth) NBC put it's programming on WATR-TV to reach the New Haven area in 1966.  Hartford/New Haven has been a combined TV market for over 50 years, and Channel 30 couldn't cover it all.  By the early 70's, WHNB had signed on translators in New Haven (59) and Torrington (79) to fill in their coverage gaps.  I would assume once that happened WATR lost their NBC affiliation, but I couldn't find an exact date.

I can't say how big the coverage area for the New Haven channel 59 translator was, but the Torrington channel 79 translator didn't get out that far and certainly would not have affected channel 20 in Waterbury.

Channel 79 was on the air at least by 1968.  I thought channel 59 was on by then, too, but it might have been later.

What did in WATR's NBC affiliation was the power increase at channel 30, not the existence of their translators.

Paul