WTAG-TV?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Nov 21 20:48:00 EST 2009

Aaron Read wrote:

> Also, I-395 doesn't go to New London.  It bears SW around Montville
> and heads for Niantic Bay.

And there's a good reason for that. What's now I-395 in CT was patched
together in 1982 out of two roads - the western piece of the old
Connecticut Turnpike from Old Lyme to Plainfield and the 1962/1968
vintage Route 12 Bypass (later known as Route 52) from Plainfield north
to the Massachusetts line.

The CT Turnpike was made up of what's now I-95 from the New York line to
Old Lyme, what's now I-395 from Old Lyme to Plainfield and the unmarked
US 6 connector from Plainfield to the RI state line. (That last bit
would have become part of the never-built I-84 from Providence to Hartford.)

Everything else in eastern CT came later, including I-95 east of Old
Lyme in the late fifties.