WTAG-TV?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Nov 20 01:02:17 EST 2009

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> I believe there were some major powers in the Legislature at the time
> who were from farther west.  This may be why there are so many exits
> around the Springfield-Chicopee area.   It may also be why there is I-
> 91 along the Connecticut River, but no similar north-south road in
> Worcester County.

The Connecticut River itself may also explain the existence of a
north-south road - there were natural north-south trade and travel
routes along the river going back to the 18th century, if not earlier.

There was never really a comparable natural route north-south through
hilly Worcester County. The 1920s-era system of New England regional
road numbering designated "Route 12," which still runs south from NH
through Worcester County and into Connecticut to this day, but it never
spawned a north-south US route to match US 5 along the Connecticut River
or US 1 along the coast.

(And yes, route 8 through the Berkshires and route 10 through the
Pioneer Valley are also still-extant remnants of the old New England
routes, as is route 14 through central Mass. and eastern Connecticut.)