The new WGBH lineup

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Nov 17 21:59:32 EST 2009

Says You at 8 followed by Jazz at 10 makes little sense. Says You is a
one-hour show. Jazz currently begins at 9:00PM on Saturday, right
after Says You. Do they have another talk show ready to go in the
9:00PM hour? Maybe What Do You Know? I think that is a two-hour show,
but I guess they don't have to run all of it.

The idea that 89.7 will carry so many of the programs that WBUR
already carries (albeit in different day parts) strikes me as both
uncreative and not very smart. I am under the impression that WBUR
does not carry all of the talk shows that NPR, American Public Media,
and the BBC syndicate. One would think that WGBH could find programs
from those menus and could keep the duplication with WBUR down to a
dull roar. If they can't choose programs that presumably are already
available to them, 89.7 is going to fall on its sword.

As for the classical on 99.5, if the promos they have been running on
TV are any indication of the music selection, I think Mr Glavin is
going to be seriously disappointed. I've heard nothing but familar
orchestral works--none of the opera or atonal crap that are so dear to
his heart. If 99.5 under WGBH ownership stays mainstram classical as
it was for several decades under both Charles River and Nassau
ownership, we can look for the rhetoric of the curmudgeon of Methuen
to scale new heights of invective;>(

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367