Digital TV

Larry Sochrin lsochrin@rcn.com
Mon Nov 9 12:04:14 EST 2009

Might as well ring in from Brookline Village. Actually, we have a
master digital antenna in my very large condo complex.  But
periodically, I'll get the bad signal or no signal message,
especially on channel 2 (WGBH), both versions, but sometimes
elsewhere. Playing with connector cables sometimes helps. But
occasionally, doing a rescan (add a new channel) nearby will bring it
back in.  So that raises a different question, which is what would
cause a station that was coming in perfectly fine to suddenly need a
rescan?  I split the antenna into two different brands of converter
box, and each one of them needs the rescan when this happens.  Other
times, things correct themselves and then it disappears again.  And
occasionally, when a picture breaks up some,  I find that physically
shifting myself makes it better or worse.    And that's not to
mention the fact that since I didn't want to buy a DVR/TIVO, I bought
two different converter boxes that have event timers built in. As a
result, I have to program both the converter and the VCR to record a
program, and, of course, sometimes the converter boxes decide not to
obey my programming.  But in fairness, when things are working, the
image is better than it was prior to digital.