Oldest religious broadcast?

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Mar 30 14:56:22 EDT 2009

You didn't mention the logisitically bizarre, if not outright
impossible, manner in which WFAA and WBAP divided the time on
the two frequencies. Given the intense and long-standing rivalry
between Dallas (to which WFAA is licensed) and Fort Worth (to which
WBAP is licensed), I suppose that such a stupid arrangement was
inevitable, but it's amazing that the two stations didn't have to cart
a new GM and PD off to padded cells every six months or so.

If I've got this striaght, each station got exactly 84 hours of air
time each week. (Don't ask how they managed the 167- and 169-hour
weeks at the beginning and end of Daylight Saving Time; I don't know
how they accomplished that.) Moreover, over a two-week span, each
station got every hour of every day exactly once. So, for example, if
WFAA had Sunday evening from 8:00 to 9:00 this week, WBAP would have
that same time period next week. I don't know how many hours at a time
each station was on each frequency, but I think the air staffs stayed
with the frequencies NOT with the call letters, so aside from the call
letters changing at the handoff (which must have confused many
listeners), the programming appeared continuous to the listeners. To
minimize listener confusion, perhaps they avoided mentioning call
letters except at the legal IDs and, whenever possible, mentioned only
the frequency.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367