Oldest religious broadcast?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Mar 30 12:52:38 EDT 2009

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2009 at 20:22, Doug Drown wrote:
>
>> A somewhat-but-not-entirely irrelevant question, since we're on this
>> subject: Are there still any communities in the U.S. with radio
>> stations that share time?  WBAP and WFAA in Fort Worth/Dallas used to
>> share 570 and 820; they were the last two I knew of.
>
> When did that time-share end?

I believe it was in 1970, possibly 1971.

That was indeed a unique situation, in which both stations were on the
air full-time, but trading occupancy of the regional 570 channel and the
clear channel 820 from daypart to daypart.

IIRC, 820 was always the NBC affiliate, regardless of which station was
operating on that frequency, and 570 was always the ABC.

Each station had its own FM simulcast, and those weren't sharetime, so
97.9 was always WFAA-FM, but was sometimes an NBC affiliate // 820 and
sometimes an ABC affiliate // 570 - and vice versa on WBAP-FM 96.3.

There was *almost* a similar situation on TV here in Rochester, where
WHEC-TV and WVET-TV shared channel 10 from 1953 until 1962. They
operated channel 10 as a primary CBS affiliate, with some secondary ABC
programming - but in the mid-fifties, they considered the possibility of
applying for vacant UHF channel 27.

Channel 27, if it had come on the air, would have been a primary ABC
affiliate, also shared between WHEC-TV and WVET-TV. Whichever station
wasn't operating the CBS affiliate on channel 10 at any given time would
have been operating ABC on 27.

The project never saw reality, since the FCC shuffled TV allotments in
the meantime, creating a new channel 13 allotment in town that was
ticketed to become the ABC station. (Still is, as a matter of fact.)

The channel 10 sharetime ended when WVET's owners bought the NBC
station, WROC-TV, and sold their half of channel 10 to WHEC-TV.