Oldest religious broadcast?

Shawn Mamros mamros@MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 30 09:57:55 EDT 2009

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
>> Well, maybe the FCC stopped sending out such letters when the info
>> appeared on the FCC's Web site. I remember seeing such a letter in
>> 1952 in the files of then campus-limited carrier-current WRPI, which,
>> along with a number of other campus-limited college stations had
>> gotten the FCC to "reserve" its call sign so that it could not be
>> taken by another station.

Scott replied:
>I wonder when that practice ended? I'm thinking no later than the 1970s,
>and probably sooner.
>
>I've acquired some relatively complete historical files from some
>stations dating back to the 1950s, and have never seen a letter like the
>one Dan describes. I wonder if someone at WRPI made a specific request
>for that historical information?

I never saw such a letter for the 1979 WTBS->WMBR call sign change.
Only when I paged through an old Broadcasting yearbook did I find
out that the WMBR calls had previously been assigned to an AM in
Jacksonville, Florida.  (Later on, I found out they had been used
as early as the 1920s, in Tampa.)

-shawn