Oldest religious broadcast?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Mar 29 15:25:41 EDT 2009

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> I believe that whenever the FCC approves a request for new broadcast
> stations calls, they send the grantee a history of where those calls
> have been and when--to the extent that the FCC knows where the calls
> have been and when.

I've never seen such a letter from the FCC in any station's files, ever.

The FCC's CDBS database contains call letter historical information
going back to the late 1970s, albeit with some gaps. I find it easiest
to access that information at fccinfo.com - the "historic call sign"
search is the second box from the top on the main page.

The FCC doesn't much care about callsigns these days. It considers 1510
in Boston to be "facility ID #12789." Whatever callsign is assigned to
it is more of a vanity exercise than anything else.