WKOX, WRCA, WUNR at full power

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Mar 17 20:18:34 EDT 2009

But to get accurate readings from an FIM don't you need to be out of
doors, away from the power lines inside of a house (and probably even
away from phone lines--because they can reradiate too)? I suspect that
a lot of the problems I've experienced with field-strength indicators
on consumer receivers were the result of attempting to take readings
indoors. I suspect that if I had an FIM and I insisted on using it
indoors, I might not do much, if any, better with repeatability than I
have done with consumer radios.

I have trouble envisioning myself with a sleeping bag and my FIM
camping out in the middle of the playground behind my property. The
playground is, however, the only place I can think of in a half-mile
radius of my house that is likely to be far enough from power and
phone lines to permit repeatable--even if not accurate--readings.
Also, the playground is usually occupied during the day (well, maybe
not so much in the dead of winter--especially when it's covered with a
foot or more of snow). But the likelihood of being hit by a baseball
probably limits the playgound's usefulness for daytime measurements in
good weather. And I think that the signs say that, at night, the
police don't want you to be in the playground.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367