Change in New York Radio (again)

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Thu Mar 12 11:11:14 EDT 2009

A couple of points not mentioned...

First off, this generation's 55+ crowd isn't exactly rolling in
disposable income.  They have some unique challenges that by and large
previous generations didn't.  Many baby boomers waited to have
children, so some are financing college educations in their late 50's
and into their sixties.  Also, this group's parents are living much
longer nowadays and often significant sums of money are spent on long
term parental care.  There has been growth in this sector over the
last few years (think Linden Ponds, Big Pharma ads and The Scooter
Store) but it's still a limited market.  Unlike the previous
generation, the Boomer crowd is the first generation as a whole to
plan their retirements around 401K's rather than pensions.  We know
how well 401K's have done lately.

What made the Boomers so successful to market to in the 80's and 90's
is a drawback these days.  This group is not exactly a bunch of
savers.  They burned through a lot of discretionary income in their
younger years and quite a few of them did not properly invest in their
retirements.  It's true that the older demos control the bulk of the
wealth in this country, but there are a small handful that are very
well off, and quite a few that are not.  Advertisers have figured out
how to reach the more affluent of this group (news-talk, sports,
mainstream AC) without investing in a format that specifically targets
them.

Lastly, many corporations want to plan their advertising campaigns to
not only convince people to switch to their brand, but to stay with
them in subsequent years.  Whether it's automobiles or razor blades,
companies want to build brand loyalty that will last for the next 40
to 50 years.  Considering that  Generation Y (or the echo Boomers) is
a larger group than the Boomers themselves, it makes sense that
agencies want to target this young, sizable demographic and ride their
wave for the next half century, just as they did with the Boomers
beginning in the late 60's.

-Dave Tomm