Change in New York Radio (again)

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Mar 10 16:29:14 EDT 2009

CBS did the same thing in LA a couple of weeks ago when they blew up
low rated hot talker KLSX and flipped to CHR as "Amp Radio."  The high
cuming nature of hit radio is doing well with the PPM ratings system,
so they're trying to get some of that listenership from the
established market leaders owned by Clear Channel, KIIS-FM in LA and
Z100 in New York.

As far as Boston is concerned, I doubt we'll see CBS implementing that
strategy.  First off, they really don't have any "problem" FM's here.
WODS has demo issues but they rate well.  WBCN, WZLX and WBMX have
established market niches in saleable demos, so while the 12+ numbers
aren't pretty, they reach the listeners they need to.  Secondly, a CBS
owned CHR would have to go after the two headed behemoth that is Kiss
108 and Jam'n 94.5.  Those two stations pretty much own the younger
female demos, and they are structured to cover a lot of ground
musically.  It would be very difficult to knock either of them off.
It's not like going after essentially one station, like 92.3 is doing
with Z100.

-Dave Tomm