Follow-up To NERW Piece On W221CH

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Sun Mar 1 21:15:16 EST 2009

On Sun, 3/1/09, Sid Schweiger <sid@wrko.com> wrote:
> The AFTRA contract was renegotiated after the 1967 strike
> (the one that put a CBS lawyer named Arnold Zenker behind
> Walter Cronkite's anchor desk),

Really?

1. How much of a disaster was that? (How long did that strike last?) Sounds like train-wreck TV.

2. Are network shops open nowadays? If they are open shops and anchors still are members, would you see an anchor/executive producer strike? I'd think they'd have to be non-union, since so much is at stake ratings-wise, but I confess to knowing nothing about network operations.