Springfield channel 40

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Wed Jun 24 13:24:11 EDT 2009

I'm confused about the order of things in the late '50s when WHYN-TV
Springfield changed network affiliation and channel number.

They used to be a CBS affiliate and they used to be on channel 55.

Wikipedia says they switched from CBS to ABC in 1958 when WTIC-TV
Hartford switched from independent to CBS, and then switched channels
from 55 to 40 in 1959.

     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGGB-TV>

How, then, to explain the TV Guide ad showing channel 40 (and 12
Providence and 18 Hartford) carrying a CBS show (Top Dollar) in 1958?

     <http://www.kylebookholz.com/whct2.html>

It seems the Wikipedia article is wrong.  Can anyone provide accurate
information?

And I've never seen information about the programming on WTIC-TV while
they were an independent.  Any information there would be appreciated,
too.

Paul