What ever happened to . . .

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 12:23:58 EDT 2009

Steve was simply homesick for his native Phiadelphia.

After he was fired by WCAU as the Sixers play by play man (he did the
Philly version of "Havlicek Stole the Ball!") he came to Boston and
WMEX to do news but was being groomed by Philly native Mac Richmond to
take over for Jerry Williams who Mac knew was leaving for Chicago.

He stayed at WMEX until 1971 and then moved to do sports at WEEI. When
they went all news he went back to Philly and then returned to WMEX in
75 where he hosted the afternoon show doing sports and would be
replaced later by Cliff and Claff.

He went back to WCAU and had a well documented run in with police
concerning drugs but CBS supported him. He then went to WFAN in 1990
when WCAU was killed in the middle of the day and became a simulcast
of FM oldies.

Finally he was offered a job at WEEI when they went all sports but
elected to go to WIP where he remained until he retired a few years
ago.