The Old WHDH-TV Channel 5 equipment (was Re: The courtship of NBC by the Herald-Traveler)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 02:58:12 EDT 2009

Good question.  I do know that a few of the old WHDH-TV cameras wound up at Grahm Junior College once WCVB-TV took charge of Channel 5 in Boston in March, 1972.  The many hours of the sports tapes recorded by WHDH-TV during their years as the Red Sox flagship first went over to WBZ-TV (Channel 4) when 'BZ obtained the broadcast rights for the BoSox for a couple of years.  Eventually when WSBK-TV (Channel 38) got the Sox rights in '75 or '76, I believe 38 got the archives from 'BZ.  I'm sure NESN now holds the archives of most of the pro teams in Boston.

As for the transmitter and associated equipment that operated at the old WHDH-TV, I am not sure.  I do know that Harold J. Clancy, CEO of WHDH and publisher of The Herald-Traveler was so convinced that WHDH-TV would prevail, he started purchasing new equipment as late as November, 1971.  When WCVB accidentally fired up on prime time for 20 minutes of prime time in November, 1971 during WHDH's showing of "The Plot To Kill Hitler" ('CVB was already doing nightly equipment tests from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM), this accidental collision of the two Channel 5 transmitters might have given Clancy some "false hope" that eventually WHDH-TV would not meet the executioner's sword (aka The FCC).  Nothing doing, as in late December, 1971 the FCC gave it's final verdict, WHDH-TV must cease operations as of 3:00 AM, Sunday, March 19th, 1972.  Since most of WHDH's staff moved over to WCVB on 3/19/72, though most are long since retired or may have passed away, the fate of
 the old 'HDH equipment remains a mystery.  Any takers on this question?

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"

radiojunkie3@yahoo.com