UHF is more robust than VHF (was Re: Digital TV receptionproblem)

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Jun 20 22:56:23 EDT 2009

<<On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:51:39 -0400, "Rick Levy" <rlevy@broadcastsignallab.com> said:

> I believe the doubling of DTV power was (in round figures) from 15 to 30 kW
> ERP, not 30 to 60, and that the 30 has already been achieved.

There was no doubling.

WHDH had a construction permit for 15 kW, *circularly polarized*,
which was predicated on installing a new antenna.  They decided not to
buy the new antenna, and received a modification of that CP to specify
29.7 kW using the existing, *horizontally polarized* antenna.  The
actual output power is the same in both cases.

-GAWollman