UHF is more robust than VHF (was Re: Digital TV receptionproblem)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Jun 20 22:07:09 EDT 2009

My experience is that, even though the "signal-strength meters"
indicate that the Channel 7 DTV dignals are substantially weaker than
the Channel 42 signals (displayed strength of ~68 for Channel 7 vs ~94
for Channel 42), the VHF signals are less variable in intensity and
hence less subject to pixellation and audio dropouts. For users of
indoor antennas (like me) the downside is that the large VHF rabbit
ears are more intrusive than the UHF loops. I read that WHDH has
applied to double its ERP on Channel 7 (presumably by diplexing its
main and about-to-be-installed auxiliary VHF DTV transmitters).
Assuming that change is granted, it may be the best approach. I had
said to a friend that the diplexed transmitters, the transmission
line, and the VHF antenna should easily be up to the task, since WHDH
analog transmitted at about 300 kW ERP whereas if WHDH digital doubles
its power on Channel 7, its ERP will be about 60 kW. My friend's
reply: "Then you haven't heard that analog power was peak and digital
is average, so it doesn't necessarily follow at all that 60 kW digital
is less than 300 kW analog." Does anybody have a conversion formula?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367