The old WUPY Lynn tower?

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Jun 20 01:05:02 EDT 2009

On 19 Jun 2009 at 9:38, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> I absolutely don't remember the jazz format. Doesn't mean there wasn't
> a jazz format, but I'm a jazz enthusiast--at least of the tamer
> genres, though not of the All-Kenny G-all-the-time variety that some
> programmers have the nerve to call "smooth jazz." I would think that
> if WUPY played any sort of jazz that I enjoyed, I would remember it,
> but I sure don't; I can't remember any particular kind of music on
> WUPY--just truly awful, totally amateurish drivel by guys who sounded
> as if they thought they were running a fraternity party and were in
> the condition that you would expect of guys at a fraternity party.

As I recall, the all-jazz format was mentioned in the first
announcement that I saw of the station's debut, I believe in Bill
Buchanan's column in the Daily Record.  "Jazz 24-hours a Day" or
something like that was a common slogan in station IDs.

I'm not a big fan of jazz, so I didn't listen very often, but I did a
lot of listening in those days just to check on each station from
time to time to see what it was  doing.  As I said, the only really
unprofessional-sounding voice I heard was that of Harvey Sheldon
early on, broadcasting live from one of Anthony's restaurants.  That
was when I was checking out the station just after it came on.  I
didn't listen after that very often.  Also, I was in high school and
may not have had the same standards of judging the professionalism of
a radio personality that I have now, or that you had at the time,
since you were already out of college.