The old WUPY Lynn tower?

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Jun 18 15:10:21 EDT 2009

At 11:44 AM 6/18/2009, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > WUPY, licensed to Lynn, was on 105.3, IIRC. It was certainly not a
> > full Class B but it may have been more than a Class A. It was on the
> > air from maybe 1961 to 1963. In that era, I do not believe that
> > subclasses of the FM letter classes had yet been created. Class As
> > were limited to 3 kW @ 300' AAT; Bs were limited to 20 kW @ 500'.

The 1962 Radio/TV Annual lists the owner as Harvey Sheldon, the
frequency is indeed at 105.3, and the ERP in kilowatts is listed at
1.4... No antenna height was given.  Boston itself in 1962 had 5 FMs
listed (WBZ-FM, WCOP-FM, WEEI-FM, WHDH-FM, and WRKO-FM), and there
was one other in Brookline (WBOS-FM)... all of which were much
stronger in power than WUPY.