Digital TV Conversion

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Jun 11 23:07:18 EDT 2009

Jeff Lehmann wrote:
>> Here's the full list, based on FCC filings:

(snip)

> What do those times mean? This is a list of times that was posted on
> radio-info:
>
> 11:59 AM - WGBH (2)
> 12:30 PM - WBZ (4)
> 12:59 PM - WCVB (5)
> 1:00 PM - WSBK (38)
> 11:59 PM - WHDH (7), WMUR (9), WLVI (56), WUTF (66)
>
> 27 has also been gone for a couple months, as far as I know. Maybe they were
> modifying the WUNI transmitter to become the new WUTF-DT transmitter?

Here's my understanding based on events of the last few days: the FCC
has backed off enforcing the six-hour windows it had asked stations to
commit to. In addition, there are certain last-minute requirements, in
particular maintaining an open call center for a fixed period following
analog shutdown, that have caused stations to reconsider their shutdown
times, often at the last second.

For instance, just in the last few hours, I've learned that WGRZ 2 in
Buffalo will be doing analog - a decision made just today - and that my
own WXXI 21 has changed its flip to nightlight from 11:30 PM Friday to 8
AM Friday.

I think just about any list out there, very much including my own in
last week's NERW, needs to be considered suspect...and that the
situation may change at any second between now and 11:59:59 PM tomorrow.