...and speaking of anniversaries...

Mike Ward mward@iname.com
Thu Jun 11 02:39:24 EDT 2009

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I was going to say "well, I hope and expect that my mother will live
> that long", but she doesn't care, either.  She doesn't identify with
> the local station at all -- for her, "CBS" is no different from "HG"
> or "Bravo", just a channel that she watches sometimes.  I don't think
> she ever watches the local TV news.

It's the same with my 68 year-old father.  Exactly the same.

This man, who grew up watching "3, 5 and 8", now has a full-blown
DirecTV HDTV setup...he mostly watches cable/satellite channels.  I
can't remember the last time he watched local news.

If I gave him a test to name the local TV stations and their channels,
he MIGHT remember the historic 3, 5 and 8 (the Cleveland market's
historic NBC, ABC and CBS affiliates, 8 going to Fox in the New World
deal), but he'd have no idea of the call letters, and he wouldn't care.