WLNE (was WBZ-TV Anniversary)

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 06:13:47 EDT 2009

Keith said:
>WLNE has added 2 local newscasts this year.  They started a Sunday morning
>newscast at 10am which follows This Week with George Stephanopoulos.  This
>week after dropping the King World Syndicated programming they started a
>weeknight 7pm newscast.

I do have to say I was pleasantly surprised at their news coverage (love the "Buddy TV" segments with former Providence mayor Buddy Cianci), and how much WJAR had slipped. Yet WJAR still dominates the market. Global is trying, but market forces don't seem to be with small ownership groups (Sunbeam seems to be the exception, for now). There is a segment of the population who doesn't care about news - they want their "Dr. Phil" and "American Idol". Losing the King World programming leaves them with the impression that the station doesn't care about their preferences and ulimately them, and they won't tune into the news. It just reinforces the "bottom of the market" perception even if it's not true.