Hecht and Alonso

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jun 2 16:11:41 EDT 2009

Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> Anyone have any info on the status of their CP for 750 kHz 50 kW-D/10
> kW-N DA-N in Hampden (Bangor) ME? Technically, this appears to be a
> very sound application and the facility, along with WGAN and WZON,
> would certainly become one of Maine's top three AM signals. (As
> Maine's only 50 kW daytime AM signal and only 10 kW nighttime AM
> signal, it could be claimed to be the Pinetree State's BEST AM
> signal.) According to the application, the NIF would be just 9.99
> mV/m. This CP seems rather far along--the FAA has assigned ASRN's to
> the four towers. However, only a little over six months remain before
> the CP expires on 12/13/2009--if it is not tolled.

I wouldn't read much into the ASRNs being assigned; I believe that's now
a mandatory part of the application process for proposed towers tall
enough to require registration.

Here's the challenge: let's say I'm a broadcaster interested in being on
the AM dial in Bangor. What's cheaper for me right now - to buy this CP
from Hecht and Alonso (which will give me until June 2011 with the
18-month extension), then fight the NIMBY neighbors and spend the cash
to build a brand-new site...or to pay Blueberry Broadcasting whatever
fairly small sum it probably wants to unload the former WABI(AM), with a
perfectly respectable 5 kW signal on 910 and an arguably better night
signal than 750 will have?

Make the right offer for 910 and you could be on the air in a month or
two...buy 750 and it could be another two years, if you can get it built
at all.