Little-noted callsign change

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Jul 31 07:36:36 EDT 2009

The frequency switch makes sense on a couple of levels.  First, 104.1
has a better signal within 128, and can penetrate through office
buildings better than 98.5.  This is a good fit for WBMX's Hot AC
format, which is dependent on at-work listeners.  WBMX doesn't really
need the listeners on the far edges of the Boston ADI.  They are
served by WXLO and WSNE, and most of Mix's promotions tend to be based
closer to Boston itself.

For the new sports station going up against WEEI and it's repeaters in
Worcester & Providence, a strong regional signal that can reach all of
the metro is needed.  98.5 gets into Worcester & Providence much
better than 104.1, and more importantly, throws a strong signal over
all of Metrowest, something that WEEI does not.

-Dave Tomm