Little-noted callsign change

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Jul 31 01:33:49 EDT 2009

<<On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:08:16 -0400, "A. Joseph Ross" <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> So how did l05.7 get the calls?  As I recall, they were warehoused on
> 1150 AM for awhile.

The station in Michigan that ended up with the WROR calls no longer
had any obligations to whomever was the owner of 98.5 at the time, and
they changed their calls to something else.  That made them available
again, and Greater Media picked them up three years later.

Here's the timeline:

1988-10-28: NEW (640) (a CP in Zeeland, Michigan) becomes WROR
1991-02-26: WROR (98.5) becomes WBMX-FM
1991-03-11: WBMX (640) becomes WROR
1991-03-20: WBMX-FM (98.5) becomes WBMX
1993-09-08: WROR (640) becomes WISZ
1996-08-16: WMEX (1150) becomes WROR
1996-09-13: WKLB-FM (105.7) becomes WROR-FM
1996-10-12: WROR (1150) becomes WNFT

> If they have an HD channel called WBCN as a service mark, I would
> think that the laws of trademark infringement and unfair competition
> would protect the name against another station trying to use the
> calls in the Boston area.

Sure, but $65 is probably less than the attorney's fees to write the
nasty letter that precedes the lawsuit.

-GAWollman