Little-noted callsign change

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Jul 31 01:08:16 EDT 2009

On 30 Jul 2009 at 20:13, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> AIUI, the FCC's callsign reservation system doesn't allow for swaps
> involving three stations, only two, so this dodge is necessary to
> protect someone else from grabbing either WBMX or WBCN in the time it
> takes to enter the second call change.  (The presumed goal being to
> warehouse the WBCN calls out-of-market to keep someone else from
> bringing them back to Boston in competition with WZLX, just as the
> WROR calls were sent out to Michigan when 98.5 became WBMX
> seventeen-odd years ago.)

So how did l05.7 get the calls?  As I recall, they were warehoused on
1150 AM for awhile.

If they have an HD channel called WBCN as a service mark, I would
think that the laws of trademark infringement and unfair competition
would protect the name against another station trying to use the
calls in the Boston area.