Congrats Gil Santos

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Jul 12 18:00:07 EDT 2009

At 02:29 PM 7/12/2009, Kevin Vahey wrote:

>I think the recent expressions of sadness over the death of Larry
>Glick shows it does matter to listeners.  Boston.com had over a
>thousand comments on his death. Jess Cain as
>well and he had no current station to relive his career

But WBZ, like many stations, is very conflicted over remembering its
history.  The upper levels of CBS have this belief that "history"
means you are OLD and your station won't attract young people if you
focus on the past.  That is why many heritage stations, when they are
bought by new owners, give up those historical call letters--
allegedly, one's history is meaningless because it won't get you any
ratings in the next Arbitron.  Further, sales people believe
historical events are not salable.  So when WBZ-TV's 50th anniversary
came and went, not much was done to celebrate it.  And when Gil
Santos is made a member of the new WBZ Radio Hall of Fame, the idea
of spending money on an actual event seems counterproductive or
expensive.  I of course disagree with these sorts of attitudes-- you
don't wanna be a museum to the past or make no modern improvements,
but you also should not forget the great people your audience may
have grown up listening to.  There were generations who listened to
Glick, and Jess Cain, and Gary LaPierre.  It's nice to find a way to
let the listeners say thank-you.