Portable Digital TVs?

Mike Ward mward@iname.com
Wed Jul 8 22:20:41 EDT 2009

Larry Weil wrote:
> I have a Haier (available from Amazon) and likewise find it not very
> sensitive.  So I hope I can ask if anyone knows of a compact portable
> amplified antenna for use with portable digital TV's?

I gave one of the "Digital Prism" units that went on sale for under $100
at CVS, oddly enough.  It looks identical to the Haier, and I would not
at all be surprised if it was the same unit, electronically.

The unit is reasonably sensitive, but you can't expect to get crap with
the little whip that comes with any of those sets.  If you put anything
resembling an antenna on it, it's much better...not quite as good as the
Zenith/Insignia converter boxes, but reasonable enough.

I'm also looking for a similar antenna.  For now, I use the magmount
whip that came with my USB HDTV dongle, and it outperforms the whip in
the box without even trying...mounted to the roof of my car.

Unfortunately, the aerial just broke...but until it did, I could get
WKBN-DT 27.1-2 (CBS/FOX RF 41) out of Youngstown from the parking lot of
my nearby McDonald's.