WCSH-TV on the radio

Matthew Reed mkr@matthewsworkbench.com
Tue Jan 27 13:23:00 EST 2009

Scott Fybush wrote:
> It's largely a feel-good bill at this point, since stations can still
> sign off on 2/17 if they want to, and it looks like enough of them will
> do so to make universal analog TV a thing of the past de facto, if not
> de jure, long before June.

What I don't understand is how this will affect stations that need to
swap channel assignments. For example, right now WCAX is transmitting on
their temporary digital channel of 53. They can't move to their
permanent digital channel of 22 until WVNY turns off their analog signal
on that channel. But WVNY is unlikely to do that until they can
broadcast at full power on their digital channel of 13. As I understand
it, they can't do that until WNYT turns off their analog signal on that
channel.

So isn't any decision by WCAX to turn off their analog transmitter
dependent upon decisions made by the two other stations?