Digital TV delay gains steam

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jan 26 23:31:57 EST 2009

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2009 at 21:38, Paul Anderson wrote:
>
>> If it's optional, why bother?  How many stations would keep their
>> analog transmitter going if they didn't have to?
>
> Since some stations have already shut off their analog transmitters,
> it would seem already to be optonal.  Why are they all keeping their
> analog transmitters going now?

Depends on the market. In markets that still have a decent amount of OTA
viewership (we were at 18% here in Rochester before the conversion
started), there's still the potential of measurable audience loss if you
pull the plug on analog before the other guys in town do the same.

I suspect my bosses at WXXI will keep our analog transmitter running as
long as they can, if only in the cause of public service. (No viewer
left behind?)