analog shutdown maybe delayed

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Sat Jan 10 11:40:20 EST 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Roger Kirk wrote:

> There's an editorial in the NY Times today entitled "The Looming TV
> Blackout"
>
> In it, they refer, twice, to "miscalculations by government and
> industry" without actually explaining
> specifically what these miscalculations are.
>
> Any ideas about these "miscalculations?"

One is how much money they needed for the converter coupons, since
they seem to be out of money at the time when most people would be
waking up and discovering they'd better do something about their TV
right now.

Another is the new coverage area.  I don't think people realize even
now how poor it's going to be.  Antenna geeks near the city will be
fine, but I think many people who use rabbit ears from 35 miles away
are in for an unpleasant surprise.