News media preferences -- new survey

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 6 01:15:16 EST 2009

Donna Halper wrote:

> The Week
> magazine also showed gains in circulation.  (The most objective news
> magazine I've ever seen, if you are not familiar with The Week.)

I was familiar with The Week - but until attending my 20th high school
reunion this summer, I didn't know that one of my former co-editors on
my high school newspaper is now the magazine's general manager!

As for the survey, the highlight here, at least for me, is that younger
consumers' preferences, at least where radio is concerned, seem to track
the population at large. This reinforces my belief (as I've been ranting
about for the last few weeks over on NERW) that if you build it
(content, that is), listeners will still come - but if you replace the
beef with cardboard, they'll go somewhere else for their meals.