no HD on BZ?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jan 5 16:07:29 EST 2009

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:47:24 -0500, "Dale H. Cook" <radiotest@plymouthcolony.net> said:
>
>> In this case the studios and transmitter are in different area codes,
>> and so presumably in different LATAs.
>
> Erroneous presumption.  There are two LATAs in Massachusetts.  The
> Eastern Massachusetts LATA (128) has eight area codes (617, 508, 781,
> 978, with one overlay on each).  The Western Mass. LATA is just NPA
> 413.

And with good reason...the LATA system was established around the time
of the AT&T breakup, when there was just 617 and 413.

Used to be, in my BZ days, that I had all the "old" 617 exchanges
memorized - and at that point, there still wasn't that much duplication
between 617 and 508 yet.

Ironically, my current LATA here in Rochester was just half an NPA when
it was formed, since 716 extended across a huge swath of western New
York from Rochester's eastern suburbs through Buffalo and down to the PA
line. But the 716 territory served by indie Rochester Telephone (now
Frontier) was a separate LATA from the rest of the area served by New
York Telephone/NYNEX/BA/Verizon.

After we split off from 716 and became 585, the lines were drawn by
county. All of present 716 is in the Buffalo LATA, I'm pretty sure, but
there were portions of 585 served by NYTel/NYNEX/BA/Verizon that are
also in Buffalo's LATA. The entire Rochester LATA, I'm pretty sure, is
now in 585.

(Not that there's much cause these days to contemplate the difference
between inter-LATA and intra-LATA calling, anyway, what with flat-rate
plans and cellphones and suchlike.)