BRI reflection

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Jan 4 22:25:54 EST 2009

Donna Halper wrote:

>> Garret wrote--
>>
>> The list archives begin in March, 1997.  However, I'm not sure how
>> much further back the list itself goes, and any records that would
>> indicate have long since been lost.
>
> They weren't lost by me-- I'm a media historian, remember?  On 3 May
> 1996, you invited me to become a contributing editor of the Boston Radio
> Archives, which I gladly did.  You also told me about what was gonna be
> a new list.  You wrote:  "In addition to this, I am also about to
> announce a new mailing-list specifically for discussing greater Boston
> radio and television.  It is called:
> boston-radio-interest@mercury.lcs.mit.edu..."
>
> Soooo, our anniversary is technically sometime in early May of 1996, it
> seems to me. 8-)

Ach, you're all a bunch of newcomers, I say... :-)

The date was January 14, 1994, and over at Bill Pfeiffer's (RIP)
rec.radio.broadcasting, his call for "radio watchers" to monitor local
radio scenes across the country had borne fruit in New England - Mark
Shneyder became the "Boston Radio Watcher" first, and so I decided to
expand my horizons to be the "New England Radio Watcher."

The rest, as they say, was history:

http://www.tinyurl.com/firstNERW

15 years...and Mark and I are both still at it. Who'd have imagined?