Saying Goodbye - Was: Nightcap

Pamela Riesmeyer pjries@gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 07:43:51 EST 2009

At 10:57 PM 1/3/2009, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>Pamela are still working in Chicago today?

No, Kevin. I was pretty much done with the industry as I knew it
after that whole Westinghouse-Infinity-CBS mess of the late 1990's.
We went off the air at WMAQ in 2000 and I've been working in Web
development and dabbling in Internet radio ever since. I still live
just outside Chicago and I still talk to some of the people I worked
with, but no interest in going back on the air.  I do think, as many
of you have said, that broadcasting and newspapers haven't made the
kind of use of the Web that they could have and should have. I'm not
sure what the future holds but I do think the existing business model
is broken.

>WMAQ was just caught in a perfect storm. Even though the
>Westinghouse news format was enjoyed by many the suits wanted to move WSCR to a
>better signal. The irony is that as well as CBS/Infinity has done
>with sports at WFAN and WIP the format has never caught in Chicago.
>Of course Mike North didn't help things. ( he now on Comcast Sports
>Net Chicago morning )

Long story behind this.  Short version is this - Westinghouse had
projected that it would take 5 years for WMAQ to top WBBM.  WBBM's
competitive strategy was to blur the lines, since they had the
longevity in the market, and just adopt everything we did to make it
seem as if it was their idea.  It worked really well for them.  That
may be why the talk about moving WMAQ to all sports talk started just
two years into the 5 year plan.   Our GM at the time was Rick Starr,
btw, and he resisted the efforts.  It didn't make him very popular in
Pittsburgh but we hung on for a long time - 10 years after that.  The
CBS/Infinity purchase was the clue that we were in big
trouble.  There were other signs, too. I can't wait for someone to
write that book!

Pam

Pamela Riesmeyer
Wings of Mercury Web Designs