demise of WHDH (AM) was: Nightcap

Pamela Riesmeyer pjries@gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 07:51:13 EST 2009

At 11:42 PM 1/3/2009, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>The end of WHDH(AM) was one of the saddest days in Boston broadcast
>history. I remember Howie Carr doing a remote outside channel 7 giving
>away anything with a logo on it.

I wasn't there for that funeral, thankfully, but I think I may still
have a mike flag or two.

>Radio? The station flourished under Blair and their Stuart St
>studios were a showcase. But Blair cashed out and once Jess retired
>in 1991. HDH had lost its soul BUT you have to wonder if the station
>was still linked to channel 5 it would be as strong as ever today.

I was there from February, 1984 thru October, 1987 - in the Blair
days and the first months of the Sconnix regime.  Ed Bell had a
stellar news department but Blair dealt it a serious blow by cutting
6 people three months after I got there. Ed was able to pick up the
pieces bu the death blow came under Sconnix.  That's another book
waiting to be written!

Pam