WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 3 02:02:41 EST 2009

Kevin Vahey wrote:

> One other thing. We saw how NAB fought hard to prevent the satellite
> merger and lost. What surprised me was not lobbying the FCC to make it
> mandatory that all future satellite radios must also have the AM-FM
> band.
>
> I am also surprised that the FCC allowed just FM tuners to be sold.
> You now have untold millions that don't even have an AM tuner.

There's an after-the-fact effort going on to force conventional AM-FM and HD
Radio into any interoperable Sirius/XM receivers that Sirius XM eventually
puts on the market. The problem, of course, is getting any electronics
company to make such a product, given the flagging demand for satellite
radio. I read recently that Audiovox will be the primary manufacturer of new
Sirius XM radios, so there you go -- whatever is produced will be produced
on the ultracheap, with little in the way of quality.

Howard
(Still listening to WDRC-FM's music library blowout: "Share the Land,"
"Shaving Cream," "Sh-Boom," "She Cried" ... Who needs satellite!)